Saturday, August 24, 2013

SAF 2013: Tea Staining Techniques


I decided to try my hand at tea staining techniques over at Papertrey's Stamp-a-Faire festivities.  I took some sticky back canvas and got rid of the stickiness by using a powder embossing tool.  I used some strong Earl Grey tea to stain the canvas and loved the colour they turned out to be - quite dark, actually!
 
Since I am impatient, I heat dried them part of the way but they had a chance to stain while I was out for coffee with a friend this morning.  :)
 My first card uses Rustic Cream card stock as a base stamped with the Studio Calico grid pattern background stamp in Fresh Birch ink.  I added the dress form and stamped over with the BB: Music Background set using Vintage Cream ink.  Very subtle but I think you can see it in the picture above.
 I added a sentiment using Fresh ink Chocolate from Happy Trails - just love that font combo!
The inside uses PTI's Love Birds sentiment and hearts stamped with Fresh chocolate and Fuschia inks.

My second card uses the Lovely Layers dies - I also stamped them with Lovely Layers and BB: Geometric in Vintage Cream and Fresh Chocolate inks.  The centre circle used Natural Beauties star burst.
I did some simple scoring for a border around the whole card and did not use any sentiment on this one.  I always like to have some all purpose cards that I can leave without a message or stamp right before sending them.  I tend to always use sentiments - these days at least - so I really had to hold myself back from doing that! :)
 You can see the scored border up above a bit better ....
And there's a shot of the sticky back canvas from Ranger - great product and I got it on sale!!  Although the original price does seem a bit crazy, doesn't it?  $12 for that package??!!

So, have you tried this technique yet?  What did you think?
-------
If you are looking for some crafty supplies, check out my sale page here to see if anything catches your eye.  I've got grid journaling cards, an impression plate and some stamps! 

Supplies:
To love and be loved
Paper: PTI Rustic Cream
Ink: Fresh Fuschia, Chocolate, Birch; PTI Vintage Cream
Stamps: Studio Calico grid pattern background stamp; PTI BB: Sheet Music, Love Birds, Happy Trails
Misc: Ranger sticky back canvas, powder embossing tool, Tombo Mono Multi glue

Paper: PTI Dark Chocolate
Ink: Fresh Fuschia, Chocolate, Birch; PTI Vintage Cream
Stamps: PTI Lovely Layers, BB Geometrics, Natural Beauties (for inner circle)
Misc: Ranger sticky back canvas, powder embossing tool, MS scoring board, Tombo Mono Multi glue

No comments: