Sunday, April 7, 2013

Festive Friday - colour challenge: Aqua, Blush and Gold

The fabulous Meredith MacRitchie and her amazing DT over at Festive Friday http://festivefriday.blogspot.ca/ have challenged us to use the above colours for a holiday card.  I have been remiss in posting my creations and made sure to get mine in on time this time.

These are the two I made for the Rustic challenge but didn't get a chance to submit:

I'm not very good at rustic and it's not my usual style so I just threw in some cork and kraft on the first card and rustic cream card stock on a vellum card base on the second.  Kinda sorta not really rustic ... :)  Anyhoo, just wanted Mer to know the thought was there! <3 br="">

So, luckily I did have a chance to create (and photograph! and post!) two cards for this colour challenge:
I used my Avery Elle Ikat set with Fresh sugar ink on Aqua Mist card stock and added the Think Big sentiment in Fuschia and clear embossed it.
Some sparkly ribbon along the side and gold embossed wood veeneer stars and that's it!  (To heat emboss the wood, just pounce them in Versamark and then shake embossing powder over top before heating it up.)

** edited to add - this card was given a shout out on the Festive Friday blog: thanks so much for the sweet words! 

For my next card, I went with a rustic white card base and used the Herringbone background stamp in Brilliance Galaxy Gold ink.  The shine in person is awesome with that ink!  Do you have a favourite gold that you use?  Which one?
I added a layer of Aqua Mist cardstock and stamped the stitches in Versamark repeatedly for some subtle watermarking and stamped the Think Big sentiment with Versamark before using some Zing embossing powder in gold.
I added Fresh sugar stamped chevrons to the poinsettia die cuts and added rock candy glitter to the top layer before topping it with a gold pearl.

Supplies:
Paper: PTI Aqua Mist
Ink: Fresh sugar, fuschia; Versamark
Stamps: Avery Elle Ikat, PTI Think Big
Misc: Studio Calico star wood veneers, Zing embossing powder: gold and clear, sparkly pink ribbon from stash
Paper: PTI Rustic White, Aqua Mist, Staples 110lb white
Ink: Versamark, Fresh sugar, Brilliance Galaxy Gold
Stamps: PTI Think Big, BB: Chevrons, BB: Herringbone, Stitches
Misc: Zing embossing powder: gold, gold pearl



4 comments:

Meredith MacRitchie said...

OH MY GOSH!!!

This was totally the best post EVER!! I loved each and every one of these, I can't even pick a favourite! And I LOVE that you've been playing along, even if it's in secret ;)

Okay, I love the cork frame of the first one, it's PERFECT for the rustic theme.

The second one is just classic and gorgeous - and I never would have even thought about using velum as a card base!

I love the ikat trend, I just am too scared to try it for myself - but the way you made your background looked so subtle and soft and pretty!

Whew, and finally - I LOVE all the stamping on the last one! You know how much I love stamping, so I love how you combined so many different images into one card.

THANK you for posting all these, you made my day!!!

Geri said...

Oh, my goodness...what a wonderful collection of cards!! Good for you for catching up!!! I love the style of the cards for the current challenge. I have a hard time staying away from 'vintage' with these colors, but your cards look so 'fresh'!!! The 'rustic' cards are awesome, too! Love the little deer and the cork on the first and really love the simplicity of the second, too! Really nice, Cara...so happy you've joined us again!!

Sonya said...

Love all the cards. The cork frame is just too cute. Your use of the ikat is great and the gold veneer stars are perfect. It was good to see you today and chat.

Jill Norwood said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! These are incredible! I could look at your site all night but alas I need to put my little one to bed...
Hugs,
Jill