Saturday, July 21, 2012

Stamp-a-faire creations

Yes, today is Stamp-a-faire presented by the wonderful and talented DT team over at Papertrey Ink.  All day long they are having tutorials and videos to jump start our creativity.  Check it out if  you have a chance!
SAF-2012-Logo
 I couldn't quite drag myself out of bed at 4 am to start stamping but I did get my order in!  Once I woke up and got some caffeine in me, I started with the morning make n' take: 

 I stamped Lovely Layers and some dots from BB: Polka Dots in a variety of colours.  I then added a vellum strip that I scored and stamped with Brilliance ink - it works wonderfully on vellum (and acetate too!).
 I mounted the panel on a piece of Kraft cardstock using some foam dots.  Now that I look at the picture, I think I will add some bling in the form of gems or Rock Candy stickles.  We'll see ...

Supplies:
Paper: Staples 110lb white, PTI Kraft, Gartner vellum
Ink: Fresh steel blue, mango, slate, navy; Brilliance coffee bean
Stamps: PTI Lovely Layers, Giga Guidelines (sentiment), BB: Polka dots
Misc: foam dots

Knots-Badge
Next was the ribbon challenge!  I loved what Erin Lincoln did with the negative die cut.  I have done that in the past with ribbon or buttons peeking from behind.  I grabbed my stash of ribbon and went to town!
 
I took a piece of aqua mist that I had already embossed with the hexagon cover plate and made some cuts with the Lovely Layers dies.  I then started to adhere ribbon to the backside of the panel



I added a vellum strip with a Modern Wood Mats sentiment in Brilliance ink.

Supplies:
Paper: PTI Aqua Mist, Gina K chocolate, Gartner vellum
Stamps: PTI Modern Wood Mats
Ink: Brilliance coffee bean
Misc: PTI Lovely Layers dies, Hexagon cover plate

I also gave the limited supplies challenge a go! 
I have been dying to properly try out my Happy Hexagons set so I made a background pattern with three hexagons and three Fresh ink colours (merlot, chocolate and harvest).  I am usually pretty good with not smudging but I smudged a big chocolate portion in the centre of the card with my inky finger so I had to improvise. I took my Quickutz nested hexagons and cut out the centre and then made a frame of Scarlet Jewel with two of the dies together. 
I adhered the frame with the best glue ever for this kind of finicky job - Tombo Mono Multi adhesive.
Then, I stamped the hexagons in Versamark and then added a Happy Hexagons sentiment. Finally, I attached the finished panel to a kraft card base with foam dots.

Supplies:
Paper: PTI Kraft, Scarlet Jewel; Staples 110lb white
Stamps: PTI Happy Hexagons
Ink: Fresh ink (merlot, chocolate, harvest); Versamark
Misc:   Tombo Mono Multi adhesive, foam dots, Quickutz Hexagon nesting dies
Rainbow-Badge

Here is my take on the tie dye challenge using shaving cream:
 Now I know that most crafters have a wide array of reinkers but I only have one .... gasp, I know!  :)  My ink pads are juicy and I haven't needed to reink yet .... so I made do with my one Fresh tuscan olive reinker, a Broken China Distress Stain and flicked some Studio Calico's Mister Huey's spray mist.  I swirled it around in shaving cream (I gave it a go with shaving gel since I didn't have cream, per se, and it seemed to work just fine!
Supplies:
Paper: SU Basic Gray, Gina K chocolate, Staples 110lb white
Stamps: Happy Trails sentiment
Ink: Fresh chocolate, tie dye technique: Broken China Distress Stain, Studio Calico's Mister Huey's spray mist Estate Green,
Misc: shaving gel, PTI Angled Labels dies, PTI Woodgrain impression plate

I had lots of leftover swirled cardstock so here are my other two creations.  First up, a birthday card:
White felt behind the tie dye mat stack and a Think Big sentiment.  I mounted it on Dark Chocolate card base that I scored with some lines to add a little interest.
Supplies:
Paper: Gina K chocolate, Staples 110lb white
Stamps: Think Big sentiment
Ink: tie dye technique: Broken China Distress Stain, Studio Calico's Mister Huey's spray mist Estate Green
Misc: PTI mat stack 1 die and layerz die, white felt, foam dots

 
I busted out my edgers dies to make a file folder type card.  I cut the Bloom Builders flower using the metal shim (that thing ROCKS!) and used some Glossy Accents in the centre.
 I stamped the sentiment hanging off the strip a bit and then ran the card base front through with the Moroccan impression plate. 
 I used the Tuscan Olive ink for the little Pretty Peonies sentiment that echoes its use in the tye dye strip.
Supplies:
Paper: Staples 110lb white
Stamps: PTI Botanical Silhouettes, Pretty Peonies
Ink: tie dye technique: Broken China Distress Stain, Studio Calico's Mister Huey's spray mist Estate Green,
Misc: PTI Bloom Builders 3 die, Edgers dies; Glossy Accents,  foam dots, PTI Moroccan impression plate

The next challenge was for a card set:
Correspondence-Badge
I cut a stack of 8 card bases and used a whole bunch of sets, inks and sentiments.  I added some Rock Candy stickles to the images but before that, I impressed each card front with the linen impression plate.

Here are the cards:







 Here's the whole set with all of the cards together:
 And with the packaging:
I love Betsy Veldman's idea of using a brown paper sack for all the cards!  I used an edgers die for the top and bottom with a brad and some twine.
I kept all the cards one layer flat cards so they are easy to mail.  They will go in my suitcase when I go to the island to visit my aunt.  She should get some use out of these - she always gets excited when I give her cards to use!  :)

Supplies:
Paper: Staples 110lb white, brown paper bag
Stamps: PTI Stitches and Swirls, Harvest Berries, Rosie Posie, Turning a new leaf, Wonderful Words additions (for you sentiment), various Think Big Favourites
Ink: Fresh ink (sky blue, chocolate, pear, tuscan olive, navy, merlot, fresh lilac, navy, mango, harvest, provincial gray, slate)
Misc: brad, twine, PTI Canvas impression plate, Edgers die

Thank you to everyone at PTI and all the participants for today's amazing inspiration! <3

5 comments:

Cassie_lu said...

love your takes on the challenge but my favorite by far is the hexagon card. LOVE the whole design of it. I could also tell you had lots of fun with they tye-dye challenge. Clever to use only part of the paper for the sentiments.

Helen L said...

I love your tie die cards, and especially the flower cut from it!! What a great idea!!

Jocelyn Olson said...

Wow, you've made a lot of fantastic cards! These are all so awesome!

Linda said...

Nice job on all of your SAF cards. Very pretty....

Leigh Penner said...

Fabulous projects, Cara! I think my favourites are the ones where you did the tie-dying techniques!